Tuesday 18 June 2013

PostCrossing (06.18.13.)

Hey guys,
  
Well long time no see! Sorry for the extended absence. You see my MacBook is broken so I have been doing all my work on my boyfriend's laptop. Well, he had to go away for a couple weeks (he's in the army so this happens often), and of course he brought his laptop with him. So I have been sans computer for a while, surviving on the small screen of my iPhone. Enough excuses, I'm back and plan to post more regularly now.

So where did we leave off? Well I guess I'll quickly update you from the last blog post. I had just come back from an interview for a local restaurant I really love. As I have no serving experience it should come as no shock that I didn't get that job. Fooey. Ah well, I was glad to have had the interview experience. Since then though, I did get a job!  It's a new shop in our mall that sells a whole bevy of fun and interesting things. Let's put it this way, part of my job is to fly a remote helicopter around. Yup, pretty fun. It's only part-time though, so I am still on the hunt for more hours.

Now onto the point of this post! I have begun PostCrossing again! What is PostCrossing you ask? It is this really amazing website: postcrossing.com The goal of the project is to allow people to receive postcards from all over the world, for free. Well, almost free! The main idea is that: if you send a postcard, you will receive one back from a random Postcrosser from somewhere in the world.So freakin' cool right?


After scouring the town for postcards (apparently this town isn't touristy, because I went to a million places hunting), I hunkered down at my current go-to café "Read's". They have a really cosy indoor seating area with fluffy armchairs for when the weather is cold, and an outdoor patio for enjoying the sunshine and people watching.

(I got the Snickerdoodle coffee that day. Om nom nom.)
So because I have been a member of PostCrossing for so long, I am allowed to send up to 10 postcards at a time. When you first start up, you are allowed to have 5 postcards travelling at any given time. This time the website gave me addresses for members in:

Germany, Belarus, Ukraine, Austria, China, Taiwan, United Kingdom, Spain, Poland and Slovakia.

When they generate the random member's address, they also give you an ID number that is attached to that postcard. This way, when the recipient receives the postcard they register the ID number on the PostCrossing website to confirm that the postcard arrived. As soon as they register your card, your address is put into the mix and someone else randomly around the world sends you a postcard! So you never know where the postcards you'll receive are coming from. I swear it's like Christmas everytime you go to your mailbox!

(The various postcard designs I sent out. Some traditional ones and then some from our local art museum)

One of the people I sent a postcard to was a baby girl named River in the UK. She is 1yr old, and her mommy is decorating her nursery with all the postcards she receives. How cute is that?!? Love it! That's what I do with my postcards too. You get some pretty cool postcards and they look so pretty in a collage on the wall. 

(Bye bye my little babies! Bring a smile to someone's face!)
I'll keep you all posted on the cards I receive in the future. I'm thinking a monthly haul post would be fun to do! What do you think?

Until next time,
Erin

7 comments:

  1. That is such a cool concept! I am definitely going to sign up to that website, thanks for sharing it as I had never heard of it before :) Now following your blog!

    http://laurenslittleblogs.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad to hear I have turned someone else on to PostCrossing. It really is so cool. Spread the word :D Thanks so much for the follow as well! That means so much to me!

      Delete
  2. ive never heard of this but what a fun idea! im going to check it out :)

    Isabel @ Walk of Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominated you for the Liebster Award, check out my latest post if you are interested in taking part :)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, how sweet of you! I would love to participate! Expect a post later this week. I'm so excited! xx

      Delete
  4. Hello Dear! :)
    I've just found your blog on postcrossing. I love this postcard that you have sent to me. Thank you so much.

    I will follow your blog, because you write really good! :)
    Paulina~
    from Poland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Paulina! I'm glad you loved your postcard, I loved writing it to you :) Thanks for following too!
      xx

      Delete