Monday 24 June 2013

Fancy Evening Out (06.22.13.)

Hello Everyone!
There aren't many times in a girl's life that she gets the opportunity to go all out and wear an evening dress. After prom, the opportunities dwindle drastically and we are reduced to staring longingly at all the beautiful gowns in the boutique windows. So you can imagine my excitement when my boyfriend came home from work last month to tell me that his unit was hosting a military ball in June! Sound the horns and break out the happy dance! 
(He NEVER smiles in pictures, so I had to squeeze his bum to get this much of a smile out of him.)

Finding a dress wasn't as easy as one would think. It turns out I had just missed the prom dress season, so there were only stragglers left on the racks at my usual boutiques, and even then they were insanely expensive. I gave myself a budget of $200 for my outfit and all the dresses I was seeing in my local shops were $500+. So to the internet I went. I ended up finding this dress on ModCloth.com for $74.99! Even with the alterations this dress was well under budget. It's called the "Receiving Line Dress" and I loved how beautiful the navy looked next to his red mess kit. This was my first purchase from ModCloth, and I was beyond impressed with the quality of the garment and their service.

(The ever classy "Bathroom Selfie")

For my accessories I kept it pretty simple choosing to wear only a pair of sparkly chandelier earrings from Le Chateau ($22.) for my jewelry (I always wear my Claddagh ring so that doesn't count). My clutch and hair comb are both pieces that I wore to my prom and I still love them now. For my shoes I wore a pair of low black patent leather strappy heels I've had for ages, my dress was so long you couldn't see them anyway.

(Work it girl! Work it!)
I was so impressed with how my makeup came out. It seems like every time I try to do something ultra glam for a night out, without fail I screw something up and it never looks like I want it to. Well this time was different. I gave myself plenty of time so that I wouldn't feel rushed or pressured. I took my time and wouldn't you know it, I didn't screw up! Here is what I used:


Some key components to this look for me were the Katy Perry Lashes, the Wet n' Wild palette, and the Revlon Balm Stain. 

This was my first time using the Katy Perry lashes and I was in love with them at first blink. The "Oh Honey" lashes added the perfect amount of volume and length with out looking like I was clearly wearing falsies. They were very easy to work with and stayed put all night long (I used Duo Lash Glue to adhere them).

To add a little something extra to my makeup look, I smudge some of the royal blue and turquoise shades (right column) from the "Blue Had Me At Hello" palette along the outer corners of my lower lash line. I liked how it tied in with my navy dress by adding a little pop of something special.
(Can I get a "Woot woot!" for Revlon up in here!)
I already knew I adored the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains (what a mouth full!) as I have several colours in my stash from before. These things are amazing if you're looking to rock a bright lip but don't want to worry about getting it all over the place (like your partners face) and having to reapply constantly. I picked up the shade called "Lovesick" because I really loved the look of the magenta pink with my navy dress. This stuff stayed put on my lips all night long. All through drinks, dinner, talking and smooches. Hands down a winner that everyone should own.

(Essie "Aruba Blue" and Wet n' Wild Fergie Collection "New Year Kiss")
 For my mani and pedi, I went for a blue and a silver look, using the sparkle polish in a gradient keep it more concentrated at the bottom. I loved the sparkle it added to my look.

(Totally forgot to take a picture of the entree, I had chicken!)
We had a beautiful evening surrounded by friends, most of whom were new to me. We've only just moved to Fredericton (this is our first posting) so I haven't gotten a chance to meet all of my boyfriend's  co-workers. It was so fantastic to share stories and laughs over drinks. He works with so many fantastic people, who have equally fantastic wives (score for me!). 

(I really love a pair of strong hands)
We ate dinner serenaded by a local celtic duo who played the piano and fiddle amidst the sound of chatter and clinking glasses. We ended the evening on the patio of our favourite local pub in the beautiful summer evening air. I really had such a fantastic time and I can't wait until the next time.

Love and kisses,
Erin



16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous look! Love the way you styled your hair!

    Maddy @ www.BeautyBanterBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maddy, the hair to me literally 10 mins. I didn't know what to do with it so this is what happened 10 mins before I ran out the door. Ha! xx

      Delete
  2. Looks gorgeous!Ihave thatexact same Revlon Just Bitten Kissable! :)
    http://cutiepiepenguin.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ellie, thank you so much :) Aren't they great?! I know I'll get lots of use out of Lovesick over the summer, I'm really loving bright lips. -xx

      Delete
  3. Love your make-up subtle but stunning! I don't know what I would do without my urban decay palette!

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much Emily! That's the exact look I was going for :) I have all 3 of the UB Naked palettes and I swear by all of them. I use at least one of them daily. -xx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thank you so much! How sweet of you.

      Delete
  5. Aww you look so stunning hun!! <3 I absolutely LOVE your dress, it's so elegant and pretty! I need to get the Revlon Balm Stain, the color is gorgeous! :))

    Andrea | RosyChicc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, thank you for such a sweet compliment! And yes, you really do need to pick that Balm Stain up because it's amazing for summer.

      Delete
  6. Hey, i've tagged you in a post! http://www.britishbeautyaddict.com/2013/06/personal-questions-tag.html

    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, thank you so much for tagging me! What an honour! Keep an eye out for my response in the near future!

      Delete
  7. Love the post. Beautiful Dress and great pictures!!! I'm a new reader. Can't wait to read more!

    I also just wanted to let you know that I am starting a new Sunday format on my Blog
    to help beauty bloggers and youtubers connect and find others, and gain followers. I'd love if you checked it out!

    http://bit.ly/16Am860

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jenna! That's so nice of you. I'll for sure be checking into your blog this Sunday to see what it's all about :D

      Delete
  8. Love this make up look :D Definitely going to try it out myself :D xx

    www.tinks071296.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you, I was so pleased with how it came out. Glad to have inspired.

      Delete